Pages

Saturday 20 February 2010

House of Blue Eyes





Images- above: Doh Lee, below Marsy Hild Thorsdottir




Shot with a Flip Video

Writhing on the floor passionately singing Elton john among rainbows, bunting, sipping cups of tea and eating cupcakes is how I spent my afternoon. I was of course at the House of BlueEyes presentation. This collection entitled ‘Revolution and Love’ was, as expected, colourful and edgy. A mixture of bright metallics and shocking colours, Indian embroidery embellished flowers and pom-poms in varying sizes. Johnny and his team of designers have reworked vintage pieces - my favourite was a tulle skirt and gold Mickey Mouse handbag that in a past life was a lunchbox.

The presentation itself took the audience into a magical world, the structure of show was influenced by Parisian salons with a London underground edge. A psychedelic fusion of futuristic pop art with Sixties free love and peace.

Johnny to me to “not just fucking stand there, I needed to work it” and I did. Free spirited I danced and sang with body-painted models, the energy was incredible.

As Johnny revealed to me last week when I interviewed him, he likes to take a different approach to his shows and it was refreshing to have a change from the traditional idea of a catwalk show.

The models and audience have now spilt out into the hallway and I can still feel the love through the cheers and singing. They are off on a parade through Covent Garden handing out flowers and cupcakes, so keep a look out. You can’t help but smile at his ethos: you should be proud of who you are and feel empowered. After today I certainly do.

Words: Emma Drinnan