Pages

Thursday 12 August 2010

Interview with Ones To Watch Winner - Charlotte Taylor


Today, Vauxhall Fashion Scout's Kenny Wang catches up with Ones To Watch winner Charlotte Taylor...

How do you feel about winning a place in the Ones to Watch showcase at Vauxhall Fashion Scout?

I feel great obviously!! I am over the moon and feel like it is a great step for the label in its 2nd season. Having done the exhibition last year and got the feel for fashion week it seems like a natural progression from there so I am super grateful for the opportunity!

What did you do to celebrate?

I sat on the roof of my fellas place and drank a glass of Cava – classy! Then I hopped on a train and went back to the island and started working as soon as I got back and pretty much haven’t stopped since - I am buzzing with adrenaline.

Were you interested in fashion when you were growing up?

In bits and bobs. I was always arty and living in the Lake district I began by painting scenery. I was also quite into maths so my initial thought was architecture. I only really got into fashion when I moved to London at 18. At school I was the kind of girl who got told off for looking scruffy, wearing ripped tracksuit bottoms and hoodies rather than fashionable ensembles. I have always been fascinated by clothes and their construction especially. I stare at people’s clothes when I’m on the tube all the time....they think I’m weird.

What was your experience in the fashion industry before forming your own label?

I studied fashion at LCF and CSM and interned in between. I actually managed to get a bit of paid work too which was great. I mainly worked with small companies from Vintage spin off brands to Frost French and Petra, which was fronted by Marcus Constable who pretty much taught me most of what I know. Seriously talented guy. I worked at Luella after I graduated too which was awesome.

Who is your favorite designer and why?

Tricky. I try not to look at other designers as I absorb like a sponge and don’t want to subconsciously pick up ideas. I love Sonia Rykiel though and also respect Marc Jacobs immensely. The guy is a genius, he has his markets nailed.

If you were not a fashion designer, what would you do?

I would either be a travel writer or run a shack on a beach somewhere selling homemade food, trinkets etc and teaching watersports. I love the sea and am massively into wakeboarding and the like. A bit of a hippy at heart.

What music do you listen to when you are designing?

All sorts. I am not cool with music. You can get anything from high school musical to Bon Jovi on my playlists. I am a sucker for the XX though but I have had that on repeat for a year so I need to change the record...excuse the pun.

Where would you like to see your brand in a few years?

To be selling to multiple stores worldwide and to be making a good profit.. I also have plans to create a spin off label and would like to collaborate with a sports brand so watch this space!

Have you been to any of our Mentoring Events? What are your thoughts of the sessions? Has it helped?

Yes I have and they have helped enormously. There is not a lot of help out there for young, aspiring designers and Vauxhall Fashion Scout is a fantastic organisation that is helping to change that. It is one of the main reason I love working with them so much.

Are you looking forward to your show at London Fashion Week?

Silly question...

Of course I am!! I can’t wait. The last time I did a proper show was the graduation press show at CSM. I was so excited I jumped in the air as my collection came out and all my belongings flew all over the floor in front of all the smart buyers and press. It was not cool. It was however one of the best moments of my life and the Ones to Watch will top that....I will probably need restraining to stop me from doing cartwheels down the runway after my models.


Kenny Wang