Pages

Friday 17 September 2010

An Interview With Jasper Garvida


As busy as he must be womenswear designer Jasper Garvida spared a few moments to speak to me about his aspirations, achievements and the inspiration behind his latest collection. From the interview I discovered it's Jasper's dreamy nature and calm attitude towards his design process that lends itself perfectly to his ultra feminine style which, this season, stems from the beautiful buildings of Paris and St Petersburg.

Are you excited about showing your S/S 11 collection with Vauxhall Fashion Scout this season?
I am delighted to be part of a very supportive organization such as Vauxhall Fashion Scout.  I am always nervous before a show because I care deeply about what I do and endeavor to grow from season to season, going from strength to strength each time I show. This season I’m privileged to have the continued support of miele.co.uk and I am very excited!

For people who are unfamiliar with what you do, describe your signature style?
Coco Chanel once said, “Fashion is not something that exists in dresses only. Fashion is in the sky, in the street, fashion has to do with ideas, the way we live, what is happening”. I do not like to be defined by a specific style. After all, fashion changes constantly and I cannot be held by the moment. I move in time and so does my fashion. I like to think that I am continuously developing and evolving as a designer and try to explore new ideas, shapes, silhouettes, fabrics, colours, etc. I believe that the world has lots of undiscovered treasures that need to be uncovered. I can be described not only by the clothes that I create but through my techniques and the familiar details that I use. Ultimately, I always exercise balance and elegance. Artists like Picasso and Matisse evolved styles throughout their lives. It takes a lifetime to truly define one’s body of work. Style is something intangible and fashion is for the moment.


What has been the inspiration behind your latest collection?
‘Belle’, Venus but much more feminine in a prettier more youthful way. Inspired by both Paris and St Petersburg, I wanted to combine the essence of the beatnik movement with the vivacity of Russian design and express these visually through the concept of ballet. There is lots of streamlined tailoring and cropped shapes that reflect the beatnik attitude. This is contrasted with the striped hand-embellishment, colourful prints and sculptural pieces reminiscent of the architectural and decorative style of St Petersburg. The colour palette is fresh with muted pastels, bright floral colours and neutral earth tones.  Again I used luxurious fabrics and hand-embellishment but this time look out for the extravagantly looped organza!

What made you decide to start your own label?
It was
confidence and self-belief is what motivated me. I wanted to make a difference and touch people’s lives through fashion. I wanted to be able to create garments from my imagination and share them, to inspire others. My determination, love for fashion, and the urge to make a mark in the fashion industry all drove me to start the Jasper Garvida label in 2008.

How would you describe your design process?
I start with a concept and immerse myself in the subject allowing it to take consume me. I live and breathe it. The colour palette and the silhouettes for each season are important to me. The design process is a continuous one. It never ends until it is shown on the catwalk. I usually sit down and sketch all week and decide on fabrics and colour. I also consider what ‘he Jasper Garvida woman’ would want for the next season.

What music do you busily work away to in your studio?
“Silence is a source of great strength”, Tao Te Ching, founder of Taoism.   prefer to work in silence. I find solitude and peace in an environment where I can listen to people and be aware of my surroundings. I also think that music should be appreciated and not just a blaring noise in the background.
 

What has been your greatest achievement as a designer so far?
Every day is an achievement. I am grateful every single day that I am doing what I am doing. As the owner of an independent label, I can honestly say that I am proud with all my day to day work no matter how humble it is. In the past 2 years, I have shown at London Fashion week for 4 consecutive seasons and have been a finalist for Fashion Fringe. We a have growing number of stockists and private clients, I am about to launch a Bridal range www.mysugarland.co.uk, a couple of sub labels and have recently launched an online store. My work has been featured in publications like Vogue, Elle, Tatler, Dazed and Confused and i-D to name a few. My approach is to believe my greatest achievement is always yet to come.

Where would you like to see your label in the future?
I would like to be stocked all over the world in innovative, experiential boutique environments. I am determined to see my label as a global brand with an innovative and strong legacy that would last for generations to come.




Lara Angol