Pages

Wednesday 26 January 2011

Interview with Georgia Hardinge


Georgia is one of the most lovely designers we have had the pleasure to work alongside, always enthusiastic and happy. So we are more than pleased to see what she has achieved following last season's Ones To Watch show. We believe in her talent and also her vision and can't wait to see where she will soar after the upcoming season.

I had a quick chat with Georgia after we broke the news of her selection for this seasons Merit Award and only wished I could have been there to see her dancing around the studio with her team!

How are you feeling since winning the Vauxhall Fashion Scout Merit Award?

I feel fantastic! I am so happy that Vauxhall Fashion Scout believe in me so much as to give  me this award!

What did you do to celebrate?

My girls and I danced around the studio and cracked open a bottle of bubbly and of course I called my grandparents to tell them the news!

What was your experience in the fashion industry before forming your own company?

After graduating with the award of best designer from Parsons in Paris I worked on a collaboration with Samsung, designing and making pieces for a commercial of theirs. Following this I worked for various designers, including Felder Felder, building on my experience and learning about the industry. Since I formed my own company I have designed for the Victoria’s Secret Show, collaborated with L’Oreal, been one of Vauxhall Fashion Scout’s One’s To Watch. Up until this point I’ve never had a solo show, so this is a great achievement.

Who is your favourite designer and why?

I love Rick Owens for his incredible draping and tailoring, Alexander McQueen for the show and shock value in his clothing and Hussein Chalayan for his sheer concepts.

If you were not a Fashion Designer, what would you be?

I would be a sculptor or an architect.

What music do you listen to when designing in the studio?

Radio 1 and Absolute 80s or 90s!

Where do you like to travel?

Indonesia is my favourite – I love their language, heat and culture.

Where would you like to see your brand in a few years?

I can definitely see my brand expanding; doing two lines - one being the high fashion and the other being a diffusion line. I also hope to keep collaborating in costume design both with companies like Victoria’s Secret and with performance artists.

Have you been to any of our mentoring sessions? How have they helped?

Yes, I think this is what’s great about Vauxhall Fashion Scout – not only do they provide monetary support to small labels but they provide support through guidance - educating you on how to help keep your business sustained. This is crucial because these are not things that you learn in University, and of course they become more relevant once you are actually working in the industry. On top of this the mentoring is provided from  a number of actual experienced professionals which is invaluable information to acquire.

If you could collaborate with anyone, who would it be?

I would love to work with the Royal Ballet. Edgy dramatic costumes and working with movement is something that fascinates me. I would also like to dip into making a line for ASOS or another major consumer brand.



Kenny Wang