Pages

Friday 11 February 2011

Interview with Ones To Watch MEN designer - Tom Lipop



Tom Lipop is the designer behind the brand - Mr Lipop. It is one of my personal favourite brand names. Cool and also easy to memories. Tom is also the first professional football player fashion designer I've ever known, maybe that's why his design is so effortless and strong. Can't wait to see what he brings to us for next season!

How are you feeling on winning the Ones to Watch from Vauxhall Fashion Scout?

- Its a great feeling to have been selected as one of the brightest emerging menswear talents at the moment and I am really looking forward to showing with VFS.

What did you do to celebrate?

- To be honest I havn’t, I just got my head down and got on with the collection, there will be plenty of time to celebrate after the show!!

What was your experience in the fashion industry before forming your own brand?

- I  worked as a senior tailor for Nathan Jenden for the past 3 seasons which was a great experience and I learnt A LOT! Before that I was freelance designing and pattern cutting, working with brands such as Halfpenny London and Griffin Laundry, invaluable experience which drove my ambition to launch my own label.

Who is your favourite designer and why?

- This season I love what Lucas Ossendrijver has injected into Lanvin man, introducing ‘elegance to the young’. Other lifelong favorites include Massimo Osti for C.P Company and YSL’s overall aesthetic but I’m pretty partial to what Acne is doing at the moment.

If you were not a fashion designer, what would you do?

- I always wanted to be a footballer, I play Saturday league and train a few times a week still, Its like my home away from fashion, I love it and my beloved Liverpool Football Club!

What music do you listen to when you designing?

- We have everything on from The Horrors to The XX but I am pretty keen on Cee lo Greens newest album-Lady Killer!!

Where would you like to see your brand in a few years?

- I would love to see the mrLipop label in my favourite boutiques and department stores in the UK and overseas and I hope that in a few years we can be showing On Schedule on the menswear day at LFW or even over in Paris Mens Fashion Week. We want to establish ourselves in the market and would like to collaborate with other designers and emerging talent, not just in fashion but in music and film!

Have you been to any of our mentoring event? What are your thoughts of the events? Have they helped?

- I have been to a couple of the mentoring events and think they are brilliant. It has helped in all departments from sales to Pr and marketing. If anyone had the chance to go to these I would strongly recommend it.

Are you looking forward to your show in London Fashion Week? What do you expect from it?

- Of course were looking forward to it, its the reasoning behind our 90 hr weeks!! We hope to gain some good exposure and hopefully some new stockists!!


Kenny Wang