Pages

Sunday 17 February 2013

EXHIBITION| Christopher Waller FEB'13




Showcasing his designs for the first time at London Fashion Week, University of East London graduate and Graduate Fashion Week Gold Award finalist, Christopher Waller, is presenting his A/W13 collection in the Fashion Scout exhibition space at Freemasons Hall. 

Tell us about your brand aesthetic:
The brand personifies a ‘sport chic London’ aesthetic with androgynous inspiration deriving from my background in menswear. My designs are influenced by traditional menswear garments, adapted for women and re-fabricated using a variety of soft silks, leather, mohair and thick wools. Detail comes in the form of graphic block colored panels and digitalized photographic prints.

What are the staple items of this collection?
The graphic block colour paneled shirt dress is a cult item in establishing my desired concept, as is soft silk the drop collar bomber jacket. Trousers draw attention to the silhouette of the woman and are made in the medium of thick wool.

Where did your inspiration for the collection come from?
My inspiration mainly comes from the concept of androgyny, mens wear fabrics, the work of graphic designers and Bauhaus design. I have also taken inspiration from the work of abstract painter, Ad Reinhardt and German born, American artist Josef Albers.

What are your future plans for the label?
I’m hoping to expand the collection through more dimensional mediums mixed with fabric specialization. I would like to broaden the designs to a more commercial level working with mens knitwear. I would also love have my own show in the future.

What are your thoughts on working with Fashion Scout?
Fashion Scout has provided an amazingly exciting platform from which I can launch my label, I would love to be involved with you guys again in the future.

The Christopher Waller AW13 collection is available to view in the Fashion Scout exhibition until Tuesday February 12th.


Interview by Brooke McCord, @BrookeMcCord
Images by Hannah Wilson @XHannahWilsonXXX