Pages

Sunday 17 February 2013

EXHIBITION| Ming Pin Tien FEB'13




Former Ones-To-Watch designer Ming Pin Tien showcases his Feb’13 collection in the Exhibition Space ahead of his show on Tuesday 19th February and spoke to Fashion Scout about his progression from his last collection and what the international showcase means to his brand.

How do you feel showcasing at Fashion Scout this season, what has the reception been like?
It’s good, this is my second collection. I’ve had quite a few press and some buyers who are quite interested in my shoes for the new collection. There are more Japanese buyers who are looking for more Asian inspired styles.

What are your inspirations and stories that you have been looking at for this collection?
This one is inspired by a continuation from my previous collection but just different approaches.  Previously I worked more on the cuts, fusing military uniforms. The new one is looking at student uniforms mixed with military uniforms and also colour wise I’m making it softer.

Are you experimenting with new materials?
Yeah, the materials are totally different because this collection is more focused on the colour and texture, whereas my last collection was harder, so I’m doing softer colours and materials.

How do you find London as an inspiration for your work?
It’s good, I think the whole city has been really supportive of young talent and also you have an organisation like Fashion Scout where you can actually have the opportunity to showcase your new pieces.

Since Ones To Watch last season, what has your career been like?
Everything’s different it’s been very busy but exciting!

What’s next for you and your brand?
Hopefully I can get some more buyers this season, and I’m hoping I can show my collection in September.

Words by Vanessa Omoregie (@wewearblack)
Images by Abigail Gurney-Read (@AbbyGurneyRead)