Pages

Friday 13 September 2013

INTERVIEW| Ones To Watch SS14 Helen Lawrence





 
 

Ahead of the prestigious Ones To Watch show this season, the Fashion Scout blog team caught up with OTW winner and Central Saint Martins MA graduate Helen Lawrence to talk about her collection.

What was the imagery behind the collection?
I had dark romantic imagery in my mind when creating the pieces. However, I wanted a stark contrast to so that’s where the sweet, girly elements come in. The collection is balanced between dark and light.

Did you draw on previous experience?
Yes, it was a development of my MA work but the vision is simpler.

Is there an era which your collection takes inspiration from?
The 1970s with the colour blocking and funny shapes. I actually had some weird drawings in my mind when I thought of what patterns to use.

What fabrics did you favour?
I like to use unconventional fabrics and more creative textures in order to create something innovative.

For you, what was your standout piece?
You know what, it’s funny because I always loved the petrol/oily pieces but after seeing the show, I fell in love with the pink jumper and trouser combination.

By Georgia Hathaway @GeorgiaHathaway
Photography by Tracy Asslanian @Tracyasslanian